Special Enrollment Period: Information and Options for NAR Members
Open enrollment for Qualified Health Plans that meet the mandates of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) ended on March 31st, 2014. This left many people wondering how they buy health insurance after open enrollment closes. You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
A Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is a period of time when individuals and their families are allowed to enroll in a health plan outside of open enrollment.
In order to be eligible for a special enrollment period enrollment, you must enroll within 30 days of a qualifying event.
Qualifying events that trigger a Special Enrollment Period:
- Getting married
- Having, adopting, or placement of a child
- Losing other health coverage (for example due to a job loss, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being de-certified).
- Moving permanently to a new area that offers different health plan options
- Medical Child Support Orders (MCSO) issued by state or federal court
I missed open enrollment and don’t have a qualifying event. Can I still get coverage?
Good news! There are alternative options available to NAR members, including:
SMART Short-Term Health Insurance, designed to be an affordable temporary medical policy which can last from 30 days to 6 months. Plans include:
- next day coverage
- freedom to choose any provider
- co-insurance and deductible options
- coverage for an exact number of days, up to 180 days
- NAR members always receive $15 discount off the enrollment fee. Qualification depends on just a few questions and approval is issued instantly.
REALTORS® Core Health Insurance, offering affordable, guaranteed-acceptance, Limited Indemnity Medical insurance plans exclusively for NAR members ages 18-64. Plans include benefits for:
- doctor office visits
- wellness visits
- emergency room visits
While Short Term Medical plans and REALTORS® Core Health Insurance Plans do not meet ACA standards for minimum essential coverage they will provide you with benefits in the event of new illness and injury. This allows you to bridge the gap until the next open enrollment period begins (November 15, 2014 for plans beginning January 1, 2015)
Questions about what options might be best for you? Call SASid and speak with a licensed insurance agent: 877-267-3752.