Special Enrollment Education Center
A Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is a period of time when individuals and their families are allowed to enroll in a health plan outside of open enrollment.
In order to be eligible for a special enrollment period enrollment, you must enroll within 60 days of a qualifying event.
Are you ready to enroll? You can Shop, compare, and apply online, or we can assist you over the phone as well. Call 877-267-3752 and we can help you through the process.
Qualifying events that trigger a Special Enrollment Period:
- Getting married
- Having, adopting, or placement of a child
- Losing other health coverage (for example due to a job loss, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being de-certified).
- Moving permanently to a new area that offers different health plan options
- Medical Child Support Orders (MCSO) issued by state or federal court
- SEP NOW! Details here.
I missed open enrollment and don’t have a qualifying event. Can I still get coverage?
Good news! There are alternative options available for NAR members, including:
SMART Short-Term Health Insurance, designed to be an affordable temporary medical policy which can last from 30 days to 6 months. Plans include:
- next day coverage
- freedom to choose any provider
- co-insurance and deductible options
- coverage for an exact number of days, up to 180 days
- NAR members always receive $15 discount off the enrollment fee. Qualification depends on just a few questions and approval is issued instantly.
REALTORS® Core Health Insurance, offering affordable, guaranteed-acceptance, Limited Indemnity Medical insurance plans exclusively for NAR members ages 18-64. Plans include benefits for:
- doctor office visits
- wellness visits
- emergency room visits
While Short Term Medical plans and REALTORS® Core Health Insurance Plans do not meet ACA standards for minimum essential coverage they will provide you with benefits in the event of new illness and injury. This allows you to bridge the gap until the next open enrollment period. The next Open Enrollment will begin November 1, 2015 (for plans beginning as early as January 1, 2016) and continues until January 31st, 2016.